Part P For Building Regs

Part P For Building Regs

With effect from 1 January 2005, NICEIC Domestic Installers (including Approved Contractors registered as Domestic Installers) undertaking electrical installation work in dwellings that is required by Part P of the Building Regulations to be notified to the local authority building control office must, by law, arrange for a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate* to be issued to the customer within 30 days of completion of the work.

The only exceptions to this legal requirement are if:

The contract for the electrical work was established before 1 January 2005, and the work is completed by 31 March 2005
the electrical work consists entirely of work that need not be notified to Building Control (as set out in Table 1 of Approved Document P), or
the electrical work has been notified to Building Control in advance of the work commencing, to enable Building Control (or an agent appointed by them) to inspect that work.
For all work that is subject to notification, Domestic Installers must provide certain details to the NICEIC as soon as possible after completion of the work, and in any event within 25 days.
The NICEIC will check all notification information provided by Domestic Installers. Unless it is found to be incomplete or invalid, the information will be printed on to a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and sent to the customer on the Domestic Installer’s behalf. At the same time, the information required for building control purposes will be forwarded electronically to the appropriate local authority.

By sending details of work to the NIEIC for the issue of a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, the Domestic Installer is certifying that the electrical installation work to which the certificate relates complies with Regulations 4 and 7 of the Building Regulations. Regulation 4 requires the work to comply with all the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations (not just Part P), while Regulation 7 requires the use of proper materials and good workmanship.

Domestic Installers remain fully responsible for the validity of Building Regulations Compliance Certificates sent to customers on their behalf by the NICEIC.

Failure to arrange for the issue of a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate for any electrical installation work notifiable under Part P but not notified to Building Control in advance will be a criminal offence. Compliance with the legal requirements will be vigorously enforced by the NICEIC and Local Authorities.

* For all work notifiable under Part P, the law also requires certain details of that work to be provided for Building Control record purposes. (This information is required to be routed through the scheme operator). In addition, whether or not the work is notifiable, Approved Document P and the NICEIC Rules for the Registration of Domestic Installers require the customer to be provided with a BS 7671 Electrical Installation Certificate (or, if appropriate, a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate) on completion of the work.

Electrician London, Herts & Essex

Electrician North London N1 – N22, NW1 – NW11, Electrician East London E1 – E18, Electrician Central London EC1 – EC4, WC1 – WC2, Electrician Enfield EN1 – EN11
Electrician Herts SG1 – SG14, Electrician Essex CM16 – CM23, Ilford IG, Electrician City of London, Electrician Barking, Electrician Dagenham, Electrician Barnet, Electrician Brent, Electrician Camden, Electrician Ealing, Electrician Haringey, Electrician Tower Hamlets, Electrician Welwyn, Electrician Enfield, Electrician Harrow, Electrician Waltham Forest, Electrician Hatfield, Electrician Hackney, Electrician Havering, Electrician Westminster, Electrician Broxbourne, Electrician Hammersmith And Fulham, Electrician Hillingdon, Electrician Watford, Electrician East Hertfordshire, Electrician Hounslow, Electrician Hertsmere, Electrician Stevenage, Electrician Islington, Electrician North Hertfordshire, Electrician Newham, Electrician Redbridge, Electrician Kensington And Chelsea, Electrician St Albans and surrounding areas.